And this ends my second year blogging! Each year I set goals for myself and it's always fun to look back and see if they were accomplished. Last year's goals included:
1. Finish my first project of 2013 - I did! I successfully added nail trim to our couches... and then removed them 6 months later. I wanted an edgier feel to our sectional, but I really loved that I had the ability to easily remove them too! You can't even tell they were there so I could always add them again later.
2. Keep in mind finishing the house is not a race. I want to take our time scoping and planning out bigger projects like our kitchen/family room combo and basement. These projects definitely don't need to be done this year, but I'd like to finalize a firm plan. I believe this now more than ever! Making a home does not happen over night. It's hard to believe we are 4 months short of owning our house for 2 years already! I can happily say that we did finish the basement and have a firm plan for phase 2 of the kitchen/family room combo.
3. Spend time working on the backyard landscaping. This got a major check mark! I spent a ton of time this spring and summer adding a few flower beds and purchasing flowers for the yard. I can't wait to see everything pop back up this spring!
4. Renovate our downstairs 1/2 bath and kitchen (paint cabinets, new counter tops, new hardware and back splash) The downstairs bath got a fresh paint job, but still has a long way to go. The kitchen got a face lift on the cabinets, new counters, new hardware, new appliances and we installed a sparkly white subway backsplace. I'd say the kitchen is one of my favorite rooms in the house now!
5. Throw a summer BBQ with friends and family. It is a goal to throw a family BBQ this year, but we did throw a few BBQs with friends and a big crab feast in our back yard for my birthday (which is definitely becoming a tradition it was so much fun!)
6. Focus on my relationships. I want to continue to strive to be a better friend, a better daughter/sister/wife/etc. and to continually treat others the way I wish to be treated. I want to focus on the positive and less on the negative. Life is too short to not let the people you care about know how you feel about them. I will say this is something I will continually strive to do each day.
7. Donate my hair. It took me 3 years to grow my hair from my chin to my elbows (roughly), but I'd really like to get the guts to cut it at some point in 2013 and give it to someone who needs it more than I do. I did cut my hair, but it wasn't enough to donate.
8. Cut back on eating meat. I really loved the way being a pescatarian made me feel, but making two separate meals for me and Chris became way too hard while buying a house and planning a wedding. Another goal I am striving for this year. It didn't happen in 2013...
9. Get into a gym routine that is manageable - which may mean paying twice as much for a membership that is closer to home. I did join the gym near our house and close to my office. I am still trying to find a good routine and hoping to start going at lunch. I've been a slacker in 2013...
10. Plan a getaway for Chris and I - maybe another trip to Cabo or our favorite city (Boston) for our 1 year anniversary. Chris planned a weekend getaway for our one year - he took me to New York and it was wonderful!
11. Maybe start working on a baby bucket list. I know we have a few years before we want to start a family, but we probably should start making a list of all of things we would like to accomplish/do before becoming parents (weird!) I was just talking about this last week! We've yet to create one, but it is on my list - especially since we've been talking about our future baby plans.
12. Plan a fun date activity at least twice a month. Can this be a goal every year? I'd say we've had a fun year full of new memories!
13. Officially become Mrs. Lucas - meaning, change my name! Someone can't remember where they put our marriage license so I should probably start looking in every closet/box/drawer of the house so I can get a jump start before we have to do our taxes! I am now officially Carolyn Lucas!
Now to think of new goals for 2014! I have a feeling it's going to be a busy and fun year!