Tuesday, May 10, 2011

How Does Your Garden Grow Tuesdays


Introducing: How Does Your Garden Grow Tuesdays!! 

Every Spring I have such a fun time planning what new fruits/veggies/herbs I want to grow this season so I decided to start HDYGG Tuesdays! What better way to watch your garden grow and get tips on growing your own garden then reading and seeing it weekly!

I grew up with both sides of my family growing their own gardens. Picking my own strawberries from local farms and running through my grandfather's corn field. I've been asking questions from my family and today finally starting this years garden!

Think you can't grow your own veggies/fruits/herbs because you live in an apartment? Think again! I'll tell you which plants you can grow on your balcony or window sill.

What's in my garden so far this year???
cantaloupe
strawberries
roma tomatoes
yellow bell peppers
basil
cilantro
baby spinach


I'd love to see and hear what you guys are planting this year so link up every Tuesday to give the readers tips and an update on how your garden grows!

Tip #1: Growing spinach or lettuce?? Buy seeds! You will be able to see your salad mixes pop up in about 2-3 weeks! Nothing says organic like making your salad from what's growing in your own garden!

Tip #2: Have an apartment? Buy herbs and pot them. Cilantro and mint love to be in spring weather so they do especially well indoors on your window sill in the hot summer months! Make mojitos all summer long with your mint!

Tip #3: Cantaloupe and strawberries grow vines. Strawberries can be potted, but let the vines hang off the ends! For cantaloupe vines running on the ground, keep fruit from direct contact with soil to prevent rot and protect fruit from pests. Place ripening fruit on mulch, upturned coffee cans, or flower pots. 



21 comments:

  1. I can't wait to have my own garden one day. Right now I can't since I still live at home. I still love this idea for garden posts though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww I love your blog! Glad I found you! I just planted basil and we'll see how that goes, if it's a success, I see a little garden in my future :) Can't wait to follow along on your journeys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Cara @ EAT. PRAY. RUN.they totally do!! next tuesday you should definitely link up about your basil plant and any tips you think you could give on growing it! i can't wait to read more!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just reading your blog being all negative about living in an apartment and how I cant grow anything..and than I read about the herbs..Yes! I am a mojito champ

    ReplyDelete
  5. @pawsitivelifedo it!! herbs you can get containers for 2 bucks and a pot for a dollar! worth it to me to have fresh herbs growing in your window! if you end up grabbing some link up next week! i'd love to see how it turns out!

    Mojitos = my fav drink all year round!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are wonderful tips. You sound like you have an awesome garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Again, LOVE those little flower pots.
    I'm growing basil, cilantro, oregano and parsley...and I think I'm going to get some thyme this week too. Food tastes so much better when you make/grow it yourself, doesn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So jealous of your garden! I tried to grow some herbs last summer, to no avail. Plants are like kids, you really need to take care of them. hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and HealthyIt really does! You need to link up next Tuesday to show off your herbs! Are you growing in an apartment?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your garden is adorable!! Girl you do it all! I'm gonna aim to have a garden like you one day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to garden! I don't even know where to start. I would love to grow pumpkins :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Kate (What Kate is Cooking)if you start one you will have to link up this summer!! would love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE this idea! As soon as I get home (NEXT WEEKEND!) I'll be sure to link up with my gardening (mis)adventures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Katywooohooo! you inspired me to start it so i cant wait to see what you plant!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE what you have growing in your garden! Fresh grown strawberries!!! Ahhhhhhh!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OH my gosh those pots are so cute!! I still need to plant my garden. The plan is to do it tomorrow!! I need to stop putting it off!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This makes me so happy! I cannot wait to get our garden in the ground! We need to hurry and get this fence up so I can get my seeds planted!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't wait to link up... I started my own garden journey this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really wish I had a garden..to...grow....and link up with you. BUT, sadly...I seem to kill any plants, flowers, trees anything. My mom even bought me a cactus once and told me I would never be able to kill it even if I tried...Yep, I killed it. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete