Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Cake Tastings around Baltimore

Over our holiday break we booked three cake tastings for the wedding! The goal was to get all of the tastings in before the new years when we are starting our strict wedding diet. It worked out perfectly since I was able to bring my sister with me while she was home from vet school.

First up - Caroline's Cupcakes. 


I  found this place on Fort Ave while working in the area. Vendors always brought us cupcakes at work and my co-workers used to love their cupcakes! We started off sampling their cupcakes...


Vanilla, chocolate, black bottom, peanut butter and chocolate, cookies and cream and red velvet. The cupcakes were huge, but we found them to be a tad dry. It could be because our appointment was at 4:30 in the afternoon and they had been out all day. The girl was extremely sweet, and even told us they were going to be on Cupcake Wars (obsessed with that show), but in the end we decided not to go with them.




Next stop (in the same night) was Midnite Confections Cupcakery. They were recommended by our wedding coordinator and voted #1 cupcakes by the Baltimore Magazine. They are located in Federal Hill for those of you familiar to the area.



We had the opportunity to try 4 of their cupcake flavors. We chose their sinnabon, playboy (carrot), vanilla, and lemon lime.




It was so hard to pick a favorite! They were all delicious. I was excited they invited their cake designer out to talk to me about my design and they had so many amazing flavors we didn't try! If we go with them, it will be hard to pick only 4!

Last, but not least, was Baltimore Cakery. They specialize more in cakes and are amazing at their job! They welcomed us on a rainy day with coffee, tea and lots of cake flavors to try! Chris was at work so we took his younger brother along for the ride! I had a blast trying cakes with him and I'm glad I get to share this time with all of his family!




Our favorites were their vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream, a mocha coffee cake, a spice cake with canoli cream they named little italy, and the raven - chocolate with chocolate ganache.I really want to know if they could possibly do a vanilla with strawberry icing or a lemon cake with raspberry filling. If so, this may be our place! Especially since they offered to make white chocolate "L" monograms and scrolls to place on top of each cupcake. How cute! Plus, I'll know our sweetheart cake will look amazing!

I'm having a blast planning the wedding and feel like I am crossing so much off our to-do list early on. I hope to keep it up! We found the bridesmaid dresses today and I absolutely love them! The girls did an amazing job picking them out. I can't reveal what they look like, but they are Watters. I love their line of bridesmaid dresses! We are holding off on buying them until I try on dresses and find the perfect one. I'm so glad we went so I could see my little sister try on dresses before she headed back to school in Ohio :)

What is your favorite cake flavor? I really love a good lemon cake!

5 comments:

  1. I had the best wedding cake at a friends wedding last year - It was strawberry flavored and to die for... I will have to get you the name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. god I loved this part of the planning :)
    We went with white cake with berry filling for our topper and then vanilla & chocolate cupcakes for everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh that looks like so much fun! I can't wait to do this myself

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think what I'm most looking forward to about wedding planning is the cake tasting! Haha. It sounds like you two had a great time! I love the monogrammed cupcake idea! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cake testing = best part of wedding planning!!! We had a 5 tier cake and each was a different flavor, the best was the white chocolate and strawberry and the carrot cake with cream cheese. I loved wedding planning, have fun :)

    Jen@FoodFamilyFitness

    ReplyDelete