Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Protein Oatmeal?

I hope you never look back but you never forget, all the ones who loved you and the place you left.

It's days like this where I can't wait for Spring. We gain an extra hour of sleep (I could have used that this morning), the sun comes out to play more than once a week and I will no longer have to walk out to my car in the dark after work. But for now I am still grateful we are in the winter because that means more boots, leggings and cute jackets!

Speaking of winter wear - am I alone in saying that I absolutely am addicted to wearing tights!?! They tighten everything, allow you to wear your favorite dress/shorts throughout the year and go with heels flats boots all footwear! Ugh! I am obsessed and probably own 15 pairs to my name. If you are still sticking to normal black and nude tights please give textured tights a go! They come in all sorts of fabric and spice up any monotone wardrobe.


 This morning I decided to try adding my protein to my oatmeal and it turned out nicely. It will replace the brown sugar or honey and trust me just a spoonful will sweeten up your average Plain Jane breakfast.

Protein Packed Oatmeal:
1/3 cup old fashioned oats
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup blueberries
1 heaping spoonful of your favorite protein (mine is vanilla creme)

Directions:
Combine oats, water, milk and protein. Mix well, you don't want the protein to clump or dry up in the microwave. If you have a shallow bowl remember to heat the oatmeal in rotations. I did three rotations of 45 seconds. Top with blueberries! You won't need any honey or sugar, it will be sweet enough! ;-)

Lunch was leftover tandoori chicken turned into a sandwich using my new love - flax seed sandwich thins. I topped with reduced fat provolone cheese and spinach with 1 teaspoon fat free sour cream.

As much as I loved cooking something new, I am happy to say I am going back to my old ways. Tonight is chicken meatball sandwiches using, you guessed it, sandwich thins. I think I might make another batch of roasted cauliflower - that is how much I loved it last night! Chris compared them to french fries - which, if you can turn roasted cauliflower into a fry that is only 94 calories per serving you know you have hit the jackpot! Check out my recipes tab for the recipe if you missed yesterdays post.

Chicken Meatballs v.2.0:
1 pound ground chicken
1 egg whites
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs (whole wheat if you have them)
2 cloves minced garlic
2 teaspoons oregano
2 tablespoons olive oil

Directions:
Add all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and combine. Separate and roll into small balls. Spray a cooling rack with cooking spray and place on top of a cookie sheet (all the fat drips to the bottom and the heat circulates around the meatballs). Cook in the oven at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Serve in your spaghetti, on a sandwich thin like myself or sometimes I make meatball chili. Whatever you do with these I am positive you will love them.



I have taken the past few days off from the gym. I need to go back asap! Have any of you taken a bootcamp class? My gym offers one EARLY Sunday mornings that I have been meaning to try. If you have any good reviews I think it is worth getting up for ;-)

Onto my 30 day blog challenge.

Day Five: Find a Song to fit today's mood.

On my way to work this morning I heard this Britney Spears/N'Sync mashup. It will help you relive your middle school days. You can never have too much Britney!



The weather outside influenced the next song. It is one of my favorite calming love songs and it seems perfect for this cloudy, cold day. The lyrics and her voice literally give me goose bumps, I love how music can do that to you. If your life had a soundtrack, what would your song be for today?



P.S. I entered to win a bag full of goodies, you can too by checking out this blog and if you love Larabars check out this blog for a giveaway bag full of them! Remember to subscribe to my blog! I am thinking of doing a giveaway in the near future. Have any ideas?

See you tomorrow!
xoxo,
Cara

0 comments:

Post a Comment