Thursday, February 10, 2011

Impossibilities

"In dreams and in love there are no impossibilities."

Did you know that when I was in elementary school and took my career aptitude test it told me I would grow up to be a librarian? True story. The creators of that test must have been on crack. I was always getting in trouble for talking too much or playing hair dresser in class. Major FAIL on their part.

Although I think I fit quite well in Advertising, I am always thinking about where I would like it to take me. I would love to be able to have the ability to travel in my job. I am at a secure place in my life and relationship that I could be away a few days, no sweat. The only responsibilities I have at home are my pups and making Chris meals. He could manage a few days without me.

I would love to move to a new city (Boston, Chicago, San Diego, NY), but I don't think it's fair to make that decision solo when you are in a committed relationship. A part of me has always wanted to do events - maybe down the road I will be able to branch into the PR side of marketing or start my own event company (weddings, children's birthday parties, you name it i'll plan it).

I think it is a nice skill to be able wear multiple hats in your life. That's what makes life interesting. Plus, I could always become a life coach. I love that so many people in my life ask me for advice - and usually it isn't on their relationships but things like date or gift ideas, places to see while they are traveling, what to name their pet. Honestly, sometimes I wish I were a guy just so I could be the modern day "Hitch".

 Guys, here are a few thoughtful suggestions.
1. Show up at her work one day and surprise her by taking her out to lunch (or bringing it).
2. Leave a note for her by the coffee pot in the morning wishing her a good day.
3. Send her flowers just because you think she is wonderful.
4. Hand make her a Valentine's Day card. Instant tears.

Honestly if I were a guy I would be riding the lucky train every day. It is so simple to show someone you appreciate them, but most of the time we let our busy lives catch up to us and forget to remind each other how much they mean to you.

Today Katie from our PR department (who btw has the cutest name for a dog - Oxford) sent out an e-mail of Kate Spade's Valentine's Day e-cards. Too cute. Here are a few of my favorite, send one to a friend by clicking here.


I'm going to use some of these to make a homemade card for Chris this year, I'm feeling crafty. How cute would the top flower be as a canvas for your kitchen? So many ideas! While I was in the Valentine's Day mood I also looked up some flower arrangements that I wouldn't mind getting. Boys, this is the time you take notes.


Uh, I am going to pull a Rachel Zoe and say I die for those flowers. Personally, I think red roses are a cop out. They have been done over and over. {hahaha} Don't get me wrong, I got them for my Anniversary and they were a lovely surprise but I am loving these arrangements. Peonies are so gorgeous and romantic. Try a low flower arrangement, it would make a great statement on your bedside table.

As far as gifts go - check out groupon. You never know what you will find. Today's Baltimore deal is 20 dollars for 5 hot yoga sessions. Get it here. That would be a wonderful gift any girl would love. Or go to snapfish and order her a mug with photos of you on it or make a calendar of the two of you. Chris and I are planning a snowboarding getaway for Valentine's Day. Day trips make great gifts too. If you are low on money check out the museums in DC (all are free) and go to lunch at a small cafe. Be a tourist in your own town!

Alright, enough of my rambling. I just love romance and believe everyone can have a fairytale love - they just might have to be the one who makes the first move. It does take two to tango.


Breakfast was a cup of non-fat yogurt and 1/4 cup no sugar added granola. Lunch was leftover chili on a bed of salad with 1/2 an apple and 1/2 an orange. It was delicious. Total calories of breakfast and lunch combined was 480. I am loving how you can calculate calories online, I miss my iPhone. I used to have an app that kept track for me!

Tonight I am going to make chicken, asparagus and mushroom whole wheat penne pasta and a side salad.

Cara's Chicken, Asparagus and Mushroom Whole Wheat Pasta
2 cups dried whole wheat penne pasta 172 per serving
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided 119 per serving
1 large chicken breast, or 2 thin cut chicken breasts 95 per serving
salt and pepper to taste
2-3 cloves minced garlic 6 per serving
1/2 lemon juiced 3 per serving
1/2 bunch asparagus spears, cut into diagonal pieces 15 per serving
1 teaspoon garlic powder 0 per serving
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms 4 per serving
1/4 cup reduced fat Parmesan cheese 34 per serving 

Directions:
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil. Add pasta, and cook until al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, and set aside. Spray pan with cooking spray and add in chicken with pepper and garlic powder. Cook until chicken is cooked through and browned, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken to paper towels. Spray pan with cooking spray or use 1 tablespoon olive oil to cook asparagus and mushrooms. When fully cooked add lemon juice, garlic, pasta and chicken to pan. Top with parmesan cheese. Calories per serving (2) is 448.

I'm having an internal conflict about the gym tonight. I don't know how to say no once I am on a roll. We shall see!

Day 14: A picture of you last year – how have you changed?


This was from Feb 11, 2010. I was a LOT tanner, bartending and still studying for my bachelors degree.  Now, I have longer hair, am a WHOLE LOT paler and have graduated and am working in Advertising. Honestly though, I still have the same goofy boyfriend, the same amazing girlfriends and same hard work ethic as I did back then. I was also eating healthy and working out like a maniac because Spring Break to Panama City was fastly approaching - but I wasn't blogging ;-) Man. I miss that tan!

Hope you start thinking about your Valentine!
xoxo,
Cara

4 comments:

  1. I MADE THE BLOG I MADE THE BLOG MY LIFE IS COMPLETE!!!!!! how exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) love this post! and not just because I'm in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so pale it makes me want to VOMIT!!

    They said you were going to be a librarian? hahaha umm doubtful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, can you please send those recommendations to my bf?? Because when I give them to him, I guess it doesn't count ;-)

    Happy Friday Dear! xo

    Oh, and pop on over for my GIVEAWAY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha just slyly leave up my blog on his computer... maybe he will get the hint!

    Happy Friday to you! I am loving your giveaway! I will have to enter right NOW!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete