Thursday, September 22, 2011

Lentil and Black Bean Stuffed Peppers

Who caught that sunset today? I don't know what is going on, but the nighttime skies have been killing it lately! So in love with this view on my way home from the gym.



I promise it was 100 times better and my camera didn't do these colors justice!

I finally made my way over to Merritt Fort Ave after work to redeem my 15 group fitness classes I got for free on Living Social. Perfect deal if you ask me since I can walk the one block from my office :)

I took the spin class and it was so much fun! The teacher was energetic, played great music and the time flew by. That's what really makes a spin class good in my book. Oh, and a good sweat. I was soaked!

I knew I needed to make something easy, filling and delicious for dinner so I whipped up some vegetarian stuffed peppers. You'll want to bookmark this because it was so good and you couldn't even tell there wasn't meat!

Lentil and Black Bean Stuffed Peppers
Ingredients:
1-2 bell peppers cut in half and deseeded
1/2 box TJ cooked lentils
1/2 can black beans, drained
1 tomato, diced
1 small yellow onion, diced
olive oil as needed
1 packet of taco seasoning
cheese of your choice for topping
water
Directions:
Start by cooking down your onions in olive oil. Once softened add your black beans, lentils, and tomato. After the beans are warmed through add the packet of taco seasoning and about 1/2 - 1 cup of water. Simmer your mixture until it's thickened. Fill your bell pepper cups with cooked stuffing and top with cheese. Place in a toaster oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes - or until cheese is bubbly. Serve over rice. 




In my opinion. Stuffed peppers that are spicy (like mine) deserve a yellow or red sweet pepper. It really helps to cut down the spice. If you like your peppers less crunchy pre-cook your peppers in some boiling water for a couple minutes. 

This hit the spot. Now that I am in a food coma it's off to bed for me! Tomorrow is Friday!! Woohooo :)

3 comments:

  1. Great job on the workout. Keep it up and goal will soon see you. ;)

    And that recipe looks fabulous! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm I love meals like this! Easy, simple, satisfying and totally customizable to your taste. I'd top mine with lots of cheese and a dollop of guac. :)

    Happy Friday, Cara! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete