Monday, September 5, 2011

The Grouchy Ladybug

Happy Labor Day!! 

We have been having an eventful labor day weekend. I took Chance in to get neutered on Thursday morning and he has been having a hard time bouncing back. We are super careful about any changes in behavior and our pups not being able to keep food down. They are so small you can never be too careful! When he wasn't able to keep food down for 24 hours we took him to the ER without second thought. 


The doctor said it was due to stress from the surgery but he is healing well. They put some fluids back in him and sent us home with anti-biotics. His moods have been up and down but we are keeping a close eye on him!


While we were there I thought it was only right to read him a story. (BTW this is the worst children's book I have ever read!) My Grandmother has called me ladybug for as long as I can remember. They bring good luck!

We have been able to celebrate my up-coming birthday though! CL is working on my actual birthday (Wednesday) so we decided to make fun plans during the holiday weekend to make up for it. 

We had crabs at a labor day cookout with friends.

We spent the day in Georgetown starting with brunch at Mie N Yu. Thanks to everyone who made recommendations on Facebook! Unfortunately Hook and Tackle Box were closed due to a fire and we couldn't find Farmers and Fishers! Mie N Yu was at the top of our list. CL's mom recommended this place to us and I loved the name! 

 It's an Asian and Mediterranean restaurant that features a rustic and cozy vibe filled with canopy seating. Next time we are going to reserve the balcony!

We started out with their calamari. Wherever we go we always seem to start with this! Yes, calamari for brunch.

For brunch I got the poached eggs on top of a crab cake and crispy english muffin smothered in a hollandaise sauce. CL got the crab and avocado omlette. Mine was the crowd favorite for the day :)

We then headed over to Georgetown Cupcakes. I've had my share of gourmet cupcakes and had to see if they lived up to the hype on the TLC show, DC Cupcakes.


We waited outside in line for 30 minutes before we were able to come into the shop. They keep the doors shut to ensure the cupcakes stay fresh.

We chose strawberry, caramel apple, vanilla and chocolate, cinnamon apple, peanut butter fudge, and vanilla. To be honest, they were good, but I have had better.

This peanut butter and jelly cupcake remains my favorite.

But we did have a great time enjoying a cupcake and our coffee in the park.

It's been a long weekend, but I am happy to hear report after lots of TLC Chance is feeling a lot better! Hope your weekend was great!


7 comments:

  1. peanut butter and jelly cupcake? hmmm interesting.

    xoxo from Trinidad
    p.s. - It's Truthful Tuesday - hop on over and let your truth out...
    http://thehinzadventures.blogspot.com/2011/09/truthful-tuesday-let-your-truth-out.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your pup is better now!! It's sad when they aren't themselves and you know something must be wrong!

    Those cupcakes? WOW! They look amazing!!! Glad you were honest, though, so now I know that there are better out there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww poor Chance! Glad he's doing better though, what a cutie :) Those cupcakes have got me drooling!!! Yummmmm :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Cara!! I hope you're enjoying yourself and celebrating accordingly!

    I wish you'd told me you were going to be in DC! Mie N Yu is an amazing restaurant--good choice! Next time you come, let's go on a date at one of the other places you'd like to try (they're all favorites of mine!).

    So glad to hear Chance is doing better. Maybe he felt well enough to eat birthday cake today? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of those cupcakes sound amazing! Peanut butter and jelly sounds the best- good choice :)

    ReplyDelete