Sunday, September 18, 2011

Simple and Comforting

Since becoming a pescatarian I have been pinning tons of recipes on Pinterest to try and create new ways to put a spin on comfort foods that would normally have beef or chicken in them. Like making chickpea, bbq and carmelized onion pizza or 4 bean chilli.

While grocery shopping yesterday I remembered how much I love shepards pie. I instantly knew I had to find a way to make this fall comfort food into something I would love just as much as the original.

Simple and Comforting Vegetarian Shepard's Pie
Ingredients:
1 can of red kidney beans (or you could use a cup and a half of lentils)
1 cup of each: corn, green beans and carrots
4 medium to large sized mushrooms 
1 head cauliflower and 1 cup cooked and mashed potatoes
1 packet of low sodium beef stew seasoning
1 cup water
olive oil 
2 tblspoons chopped rosemary (fresh or dried)
salt, pepper and cheese of choice to taste
Directions:
Start by chopping your veggies (green beans and mushrooms). Saute your mushrooms and kidney beans/lentils in olive oil and rosemary. Once the mushrooms cook down add the packet of seasoning, water and your veggies (corn, green beans, carrots). Let simmer and thicken. While that is cooking boil your cauliflower and potatoes and make mashed potatoes/cauliflower with milk and a tablespoon of butter. Set aside. Add your veggie/bean mixture to a baking dish. Top with your mashed potatoes/cauliflower. Sprinkle salt, pepper and cheese on top and bake in a 375 degree oven until the cheese is melted. Serve!

 Mmmm doesn't that look good? I love anything that has that comforting beef stew smell - especially when it doesn't actually have beef in it! Win-win if you ask me since CL decided to go pescatarian at home and eat normally when out. I'll take that!

This meal is so comforting - I snapped the shot before bubbling the cheese on top. I pre-made dinner this morning so tonight I will add the cheese and pop it in the oven. Even better that you can make this meal ahead of time!

Yesterday I went to one of the best weddings I have ever been to. I think it was the fun vibe and all the love that really made it something special. We danced the entire night to the point where my feet were so sore I was limping by the end of the evening.

 I snuck in a few kisses with my Prince Charming. One of the things I LOVED that doesn't always happen at weddings is hearing the sound of people tapping their glass with a knife/spoon/fork... you get the point! Hearing that clink-ing sound cued the couple to kiss. Which in my opinion is so special. 

 At the end of the night everyone went outside for the couples last dance and blew bubbles around them. How romantic and a great photo opportunity. Loved that idea!

I was sporting my purple for the Ravens! I'm off to go take the pupper for a walk and watch the game. Have a great Sunday Funday! The weather is perfect :)

3 comments:

  1. Awwwww you looked so beautiful! I saw your photos on Facebook! :) I'm glad you had fun. I love that at weddings, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That color looks amazing on you! :-) Bookmarking that recipe - looks really good! xoxo from Trinidad

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw thanks guys!! haha it's okay Katy - I stalk your photos on FB too before you post them ;-)

    ReplyDelete