Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Add a Little UMPH

 The difference between try and triumph is a little umph. 
 
Can I just tell you guys how much I love kickboxing class? No matter what gym I take the class at I always come out sweaty, red, and feeling good!! If I could hire my instructor as a personal trainer and it wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg I totally would. But for now, I guess I'll just have to look forward to Wednesdays (which is actually a great way to end the weekly hump day).

After hitting the gym I was in dire need of some carbs and healthy protein. Have I mentioned my boyfriend got his degree in exercise science, health and coaching? If not, now you can see where my healthy cooking derives from... So I decided to whip up some chicken meatballs! I bake them in the oven on a cooling rack which I lay on top of a cookie sheet, which is an awesome way to circulate heat and let any fat drip to the bottom (and not to my bottom!).

Chicken Meatballs:
1 lb of ground chicken
1/4 cup of italian breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 spoonful of minced garlic (i looooveee garlic)
1 egg
1/2 tablespoon of oregano

Combine all ingredients into a large bowl and mix with your hands! It's important to mix in the egg well or else it will cook on the outside of your meatballs. I shaped into bite size meatballs and placed on a cooling rack sprayed with cooking spray. Cook at 350 degrees for 25 mintues. I added them to a roasted red pepper sauce (store bought) and added slice green peppers and fresh tomatoes. Toss in pasta and BAM you have a good carb and protein post workout meal.

Chicken Meatballs Pre-Oven

Tossed with my pasta and sprinkled with some parm :) YUM

I noticed I had some yogurt in the refrigerator that needed to be consumed so I decided I am going to make a smoothie for breakfast. Afterall, it is Thirsty Thursday ;-)

Banana Berry Smoothie:
3/4 cup low fat vanilla yogurt
1 banana
Handful of your favorite berries (I used black and raspberries that I've been using in my oatmeal)
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 cup fat free milk
Handful of ice

Put all ingredients in the blender and you've got your breakfast to go!

Thanks to Alyssa, I decided to try out the Four Things survey going around a few blogs:

Four TV shows I watch:
1. Real Housewives
2. Everyday Italian
3. Teen Mom
4. The Haunted (ghost stories on the Animal Planet addicted!)
Four things I am passionate about:
1. My family; boyfriend and dogs included!
2. My friends and spending quality time with them
3. Learning and growing in my career
4. Cooking/Hosting
Four things I learned in the past:
1. If God brings you to it, he will help you through it
2. Never go to bed angry; waking up angry is never the way to go
3. Don't lose yourself in relationships.
4. There are three sides to every story. Yours, mine and the truth.
Four things I am looking forward to:
1. My 3 year anniversary with my boyfriend next Friday (woohoo!)
2. Hot air balloon ride in April
3. Tae Bo class with Brittany tomorrow
4. Getting my taxes back so I can take my first cruise!
Four things I love about winter:
1. When you walk outside and can smell your neighbors fireplaces
2. Snowflakes (only the big ones which make you feel like you are in a snow globe)
3. Learning how to snowboard, even though I cried like a baby my first time
4. Winter break, filled with lots of family time and good food!

Only a day away from Friday guys!
xoxo,
Cara

2 comments:

  1. I love kickboxing too! My teacher is hardcore... What gym do you go to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go to LA Fitness in Crofton/Gambrills! If you live close we should def try a class together! I know absolutely nobody who lives around Severna Park/Crownsville!

    ReplyDelete