Thursday, January 27, 2011

Snow Day Bliss


Be thankful for what you have; you'll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don't have, you will never, ever have enough.

I might be exaggerating a tad lot when it comes to my post title. We were hit hard with snow (photo compliments of my fmil [future-mother-in-law] Kelli). It stole my kickboxing class, my satellite tv and my boyfriend for an extra three hours... and didn't even give me a delay or closing at work! I think I am in a bad relationship with this weather! Just when I am loving and welcoming it, the snow turns around and plays me!

The tandoori shrimp last night was surprisingly so good! Too bad I bought the smallest shrimp possible, so I added half of a chicken breast and it did the trick! Chris likes to refer to my "trying new food" habit to that of a 5 year old. I pretend I don't like it the second it touches my lips, then a couple tries later down the road it is my favorite thing in the world. True. I used to hate avocados and curry, and now I am in love. 

Tonight I am going to hit up Trader Joe's. I am a virgin to all things TJ (shocking, I know). I need an inspiration for tomorrow's anniversary breakfast. Is the girl supposed to cater to the boy on anniversaries and the boy caters to the girl on valentines day? Either way, I will be continuing my breakfast habit tomorrow while having off from work ;-) I made my banana walnut oatmeal again this morning, it just tastes so good! Probably my new fav flav combo.

Obviously I didn't want to go to work this morning...
Who would ever want to leave their house with this button nose at home?
Last night I was searching the web for low fat dessert recipes. Alyssa's blog always has great ones, but I am not a chocolate lover and sadly she is. If you love reading my blog, you will love hers. I have made it part of my daily routine (just don't leave me for her!). We are having some company on Monday night and I wanted to make a dessert, knowing that we all are trying to have a healthier lifestyle it needs to be figure friendly!

Here is what I found...

Grilled Peaches:
131.5 calories per whole peach
4 medium ripe peaches, pit removed and cut in half
1/2 cup honey flavored fat free Greek yogurt
4 tablespoons honey
Cinnamon to your taste
 
Directions:
Place peaches cut side down on the grill. Grill on low or indirect heat until soft, about 2-4 minutes on each side. Combine yogurt and cinnamon. Pour 1 tbsp yogurt over each peach half. Drizzle with honey and enjoy.
Sounded delicious to me, especially with my new love for Greek yogurt and I saw peaches in Safeway the other night (and I think they were on sale).

Although I don't like chocolate, my favorite cake flavor (besides funfetti) is red velvet. I don't like challenging desserts with tons of ingredients for me to buy which I most likely will never use again. SO, while at TJ's tonight I am going to look for a red velvet box cake and make this recipe...


Diet Soda Red Velvet Cupcakes:
85-90 calories per cupcake (not including icing, so go light)
1 dry box red velvet cake
10 ounces of diet cream soda
2 egg whites
Baking Spray

 
Directions:
Preheat oven according to box directions. Spray cupcake liners with baking spray. Beat cake mix, diet soda and egg whites. Pour into liners. Bake as directed on box, or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted.

Personally I dislike soda. I don't like the way I feel after I drink it (BLOATED!) and it really doesn't contain anything natural or healthy for you. But, if you are going to have it, mine as well be inside of a cupcake that holds about .5 ounces of it. Plus, you are skipping out on the oil and butter. I'll let you know how these turn out but I have read nothing but great reviews!

I'm off to the gym to try step circuit tonight! I'll let you know how these desserts turn out! I am going to make my pea soup and freeze for my grandmother. Lots of well wishes for her since she is having spinal surgery today!

Happy it's almost Friday Bloggets!
xoxo,
Cara

3 comments:

  1. I'm totally trying out those Red Velvet cupcakes, sound delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You aren't a chocolate lover!?!?!?! OMG! I wish I wasnt... I'm actually not a big fan of chocolate cake/ice cream but I do love chocolate candy. I'm weird :) Did you find a recipe to make in the morning? I have a good one but it is not figure friendly...but i'm sure the boy would love it! and you could have a tiny slice and mix it in with oatmeal? happy anniversary xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to find diet cream soda! Any suggestions? I might have to make the cupcakes this weekend ;-)

    ReplyDelete