Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Better Burger

“The most important thing in life is your family. There are days you love them, and others you don’t. But, in the end, they’re the people you always come home to. Sometimes it’s the family you’re born into and sometimes it’s the one you make for yourself.”

I can't believe I haven't posted anything since Friday!! I would love to tell all of you I had such an amazingly busy and hectic weekend, but sadly I would be lying. HA! It was more of a relaxing, nap taking sort of weekend.

Friday after work I headed to Fed Hill for some hot yoga with the interactive ladies. If you haven't tried hot yoga yet because you're afraid you might die of a heat stroke, try out Charm City Yoga. The room isn't insanely hot (I wore a jacket and leggings the entire time) and the community classes are only 6 dollars for a 90 minute session! You can go here to look at the schedule. I suggest bringing a towel, your yoga mat, an icy cold water bottle and a few of your most awesome friends! The classes aren't over crowded, but I do suggest getting there a little early so you don't miss out! The instructors are always super nice and willing to help out the class beginners. 


I am proud to say I made it to the gym 5 out of 7 days last week with Tuesday and Sunday being my days to rest. If I am not participating in a class, I try to do an hour on the elliptical and 20 minutes of abs and weights. Have I mentioned how excited I am for tomorrow's kickboxing class!?

You may notice a few changes happening to my blog! I'm trying to make it more user friendly! I have now included an About Me and Recipes tab. All new recipes I write about in blogs can be found under the Recipes tab, no more searching!!

I almost forgot to mention that Safeway is having a killer deal on grapefruits and blueberries! Only a dollar each! Which means my (and your) mornings are now complete with blueberry oatmeal and half of a grapefruit topped with burnt brown sugar for a mid-morning snack! I found this out while stopping at the grocery store Sunday night to pick up a bag of salad for my work-week lunches (if i pack it i have to eat it).

Tonight is burger night! Our once a week, red-meat meal! I think I can make a burger dinner in 20 minutes flat from beginning to end. You don't have to use the seasonings I chose for tonight. Sometimes I use French Onion Soup Mix (2-3 tablespoons), garlic and onion powder or chili seasoning (2-3 tablespoons). Each burger is only about 350-400 calories too. My new obsession is sandwich thins! They are only 100 calories (top and bottom) and make you feel better about eating your juicy burger!

Cara's Better Burger:
2 Whole Wheat Sandwich Thins rolls
1/2 lb. 96% lean ground sirloin
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
ground pepper to taste
2 slices reduced-fat cheese
sliced tomato, red onion, avocado and lettuce 

Combine chili powder, cumin, pepper and ground sirloin in a bowl and mix with your hands. You want to make sure you evenly disperse the seasoning. Shape into two burger patties and place on the grill (I use a George Foreman Grill). Cook until your desired temperature. Top burgers with cheese, tomato, red onion and avocado (replaces mayo). That's it! You are done! Serve with grilled veggies or a salad. 

Steamed Broccoli, Chili-esque Burger and Baked Red Potatoes
Delish! I grilled some onions, used light mayo with olive oil (out of avocados), reduced fat american cheese and spinach

Tomorrow I am going to make Tandoori Shrimp, yuummm-o! It's my night off from the gym so I am going to make the most of it hanging with Chris and pups. I still haven't decided what I want to do for Valentine's day, but Friday keeps inching closer and closer and PTO is calling my name!

xoxo,
Cara

1 comment:

  1. LOVE sandwich thins! and bagel thins! and the hot dog bun thins too haha.. the sales at safeway right now are crazy! i used to do that hot yoga class when i lived in bmore... it always feels so good when you leave that class! refreshed and rebooted :)

    ReplyDelete