Saturday, January 15, 2011

Game Day

The day is finally here. Baltimore has turned purple and the Ravens play the Steelers in the playoffs. You might be going out to the local bar to catch the game, or even making the drive to Pittsburgh. But, if you are like me you have invited a couple good friends over to eat, drink, and watch the Ravens dominate!


Flowers are a great way to bring some color and freshness into your home. I grabbed these from work on Friday knowing they would be the perfect centerpiece for my kitchen table.

Sangria is a great drink to make and really stretches a bottle of wine between a few friends. I am always making white Sangria in the summertime. Here is a red Sangria recipe I have made a few times.

1 large orange, washed and sliced
2 cups of orange juice (half orange, half pineapple is good also)
1 cup of raspberries or pitted cherries
¼ cup granulated sugar (or Splenda)
¼ cup Triple Sec (I like better than brandy, plus I always have it on hand for Margaritas)
One 750 ml. bottle inexpensive, fruity, red wine chilled (cab or pinot noir)

1. Add sliced orange and raspberries/cherries and sugar to large pitcher; mash gently with wooden spoon until fruit releases some juice, but is not totally crushed, and sugar dissolves, about 1 minute. Stir in orange juice, Triple Sec, and wine; refrigerate for at least 2, and up to 8, hours.
2. Before serving, add 6 to 8 ice cubes and stir briskly to distribute settled fruit and pulp; serve immediately.

I like my red Sangria sweet, not sour, so I don't add lemons or limes to my recipe.


I made these one year for Salisbury's homecoming to take to a friends house and they were a hit! I don't like chocolate so I left a few without so I could enjoy also! These won't last very long, but I do suggest serving the same day.

Football Shaped Rice Krispies:
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 package regular marshmallows
1/2 cup peanut butter
5 cups  crisped rice cereal (such as Rice Krispies®)
Canned frosting or decorating gel

DIRECTIONS:
In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter until melted. Add cereal. Stir until well coated. Cool slightly. Using buttered hands (PAM cooking spray) shape mixture into sixteen 3-inch footballs. Decorate with frosting.


Cara's Game Day Chicken Chili:
1 pound of ground chicken
1 can of drained corn
1 can undrained dark kidney beans
1 packet of chili seasoning (sometimes I use 2, depending how hot you like it)
1 green pepper chopped
2-3 strips roasted red peppers (optional)
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 large onion chopped
2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Fat free Sour Cream
Low Fat Mexican Cheese blend
Tortilla Strips

On medium-high heat cook your ground chicken with the EVOO and chili seasoning. Chicken doesn't have much fat so the EVOO helps keep it from burning and sticking. Once fully cooked add in your chopped green pepper and 3/4 of the chopped onion. Cook for 5 minutes until the veggies tender. Add in corn, kidney beans, red peppers (optional) and tomatoes. Keep on medium-high high with a lid on the pot so it comes to a simmer, reduce heat until serving. Use the reserved onions for topping.

I like to top mine with onions, sour cream, cheese and use tortilla strips for dipping. Get creative and set out topping bowls for your guests. Onions, cheese, sour cream, guacamole, jalapenos and sliced red peppers are all good options.

No matter what recipes you make, as long as you have good friends around you will have a great time! Happy Ravens Saturday bloggets!

xoxo,
Cara

2 comments:

  1. Those are the cutest rice krispie treat footballs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They don't compare to your homemade ice cream and cake pops! I subscribe to your blog so it comes in my e-mail ;-) keep it up!

    ReplyDelete