Friday, January 14, 2011

Breakfast in Bed


Breakfast in bed doesn't only have to happen on special occasions. One of my favorite things to do on a snowy day is wake up and surprise my love. After all, they do say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. You can always find a cute bed tray at any Home Goods store for a steal!

Usually I make heart shaped blueberry muffins (I always have blueberry mix in my pantry), eggs and turkey bacon. But, it's always good to think outside the box when you are doing something extra special.

My grandmother would always make broiled grapefruits for us when we were younger, and to be honest, I don't think I would eat a grapefruit any other way.


Grapefruit topped with burnt brown sugar:
1 grapefruit
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
1 teaspoon of cinnamon

Directions:
Slice your grapefruit in half at the equator. Sprinkle the cinnamon over the top of the grapefruit and then spread the brown sugar on top. Place under the broiler for 20 seconds and then dig in! It couldn't be any easier! Plus, I once read eating grapefruit at the start of your day increases the amount of calories you burn!

Homemade Blueberry Syrup:
1/2 cup of sugar (or you could use Splenda)
3/4 cup of blueberries
1/4 cup of water

Simmer on medium heat and swish in pan so the bottom doesn't burn. Serve over your favorite waffles!

Low Fat Blueberry Scones
Servings: 8 servings Calories 216

2 cups unbleached flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 (half stick) cup frozen butter
3/4 cups light buttermilk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
 1 cup fresh blueberries

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400°.
In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients.
Using the large holes of a cheese grater, grate the frozen butter into the flour. Mix well with flour.
In a medium bowl, mix the buttermilk, egg and vanilla.
Using a fork, slowly stir in the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, until all the mixture is moistened.
Do not over work the dough. Fold in the blueberries.
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Drop large spoonfuls onto the cookie sheet (to avoid tough scones, do not press or compact). Bake in the center rack 18 minutes. Remove and let them cool about 5 minutes before eating.

Have I mentioned how much I love anything blueberry in the morning?! And I love that I just found a wonderful food blog filled with delicious low fat recipes! HEAVEN!

Don't forget! The Ravens play the Steelers tomorrow at 4:30! Let's paint this town purple. Check out my blog tonight for great game day recipes!

xoxo,
Cara

0 comments:

Post a Comment